Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A LUXEMBOURG SANDWICH

*The title of this post comes from Phil's comment when the first three riders crossed the finish line. It was hilarious. I'm not sure who else would've described the finish quite like that. Phil and Paul are the best commentators.

1. I almost predicted the winner of the stage. I thought Saxo Bank would win the stage, partly for Jens. They seen like a team who would honor their teammates. But also because they needed to do something to put time into others. The Schlecks are the only guys who can stay with AC in the mountains so it would have to be one of them. I had the right last name, but I didn't think Frank could do it. He stayed with them and he deserved the win.

2. A fantastic ride in the peloton came from big Thor Hushovd. I might be a Cav fan, but that was an awesome ride by Thor. Breaking away on a mountain stage while wearing the green jersey is the sign of a champion. I'm glad he responded to Cav's comments and took the jersey in a way that the DQ didn't matter. A great ride by the god of thunder.

3. I really dislike Garmin but Christian Vande Velde had a fantastic ride as well. He's a bit too American although I do like his interviews because he actually answers the questions, even the stupid ones. He really left it all out on the climbs and deserves some respect for that. As Paul said "He has dragged himself up to the front and is now turning himself inside out."

4. Franco Pellizotti got some matching shorts! No more color clashing.

5. Garmin boy was dropped. Good.

6. I don't understand why everyone's freaking out about AC's attack that dropped Kloden. Everyone's saying he's a bad teammate but I think he wanted to get Kloden with him off the front to put time into the Schlecks (which would help the possible Kloden podium) and possibly get Kloden the stage win. If that happened, everyone would be saying how great a teammate he is. AC probably thought that Kloden could go with him because he had been sitting on someone's wheel and looked good. But then Kloden is an experienced rider and knows how to hide the hurt. Even if the group had made in down together, he would've had to sprinted against the Schlecks, and by the way he fell off so quickly, I'm not sure he could have. By the way AC was looking back all the time, I think he realized that the move didn't work and that he had made it worse for himself. I don't think it's right to blame him though, Kloden couldn't keep up. And I like Kloden. He hasn't been getting the respect he deserves because of the rest of the Astana boys.

7. Another rider who hasn't been getting respect is Contador himself. People have been saying he's a bad teammate but really, what has his teammate done for him especially since Lance came back? Shoved him off to the side. And yes, Lance played teammate today. But AC doesn't seem to trust his team and I can understand why. He knows he won't be riding with them after this. As for the whole podium sweep, I thought JB just wanted yellow. And what if he asked Lance to help his domestiques to get on the podium. Lance would've said "sure but you better make sure I'm on the top step". AC is saying "sure, but I'll make sure I'm on the top step." He's looking out for himself first, which is understandable because everyone seems out to get him. Which makes me like him even more.

8. As I was making the rounds on Twitter and reading some online articles, I lost some respect for Johan Bruyneel, Lance, and Levi. If a rider doesn't follow team orders and the team is angry, talk to the rider. You don't tell the media/tweet and make AC seem like the bad guy. Don't ruin his Tour. If JB has a problem with the move, you talk to the guy. You keep it within the team. The worst comment, tweeted by Levi and followed up by Lance was "If Andreas finishes 4th in GC by less than 2' from third, we know where he lost it..." Kloden lost that time hauling Lance up Vierber. They need to keep their problems within the team, not telling everybody. Real classy guys. You could learn something from Saxo Bank.

9. The devil was spotted on today's stage. I've been wondering where he's been.

10. Jens Voigt might have had the most epic crash but Denis Menchov seems to be winning for most crashes.

11. Kenny Van Hummel crashed and is out of the Tour. I have a lot of respect for this guy who rode 190/200km by himself and managed to finish within the time cut. I think we all wanted him to make it to Paris. He has certainly gained some fans.

12. One rider who has really impressed me is Vincenzo Nibali. Although, is his name said Na-ball-ee (like Phil and Paul say it) or Nee-ba-lee (like Craig Hummer says it, although he's the same man that misprounounced Hincapie for an entire July). I'm liking Nibali, not only for his cool name. He can climb and TT. His descent down the last mountain today was pretty awesome. He was certainly going fast and surprised Lance. When they crossed the line though, it looked like Lance was this huge giant and Nibali was some skinny little kid.

13. Maybe I've been listening to Phil and Paul too much, but I think AC is actually dancing on the pedals. Or "tickling the pedals".

14. Saxo Bank has clearly mastered the "grimace of pain" or "mask of pain". Their workhorses drag the peloton up mountains and always seem to be on the verge of blowing up. Their faces show the effort they are putting in. Jens Voigt has obviously mastered it, it's common for him to be wearing the "mask of pain". Except Jens Voigt can't be in pain because he is Jens Voigt. The Schleck brothers showed a good example on the last climbs. They must be practicing with their teammates. Their expressions do let you know that they are giving absolutely everything. Another reason I like Saxo Bank.

15. As for the time trial, Go Spartacus!

No comments: