Monday, July 6, 2009

2009 TOUR DE FRANCE: TTT

The team time trial is tomorrow in le tour. I love TTT's. But then I love just about every stage in the Tour so that doesn't really count. I have a slight problem for the stage though, who do I cheer for? I'm really not sure.

Saxo Bank is a good team. I like most of the team, such as Fabian Cancellara (love his name) and the beloved Jens Voight. There are some on the team that I'm not particularly fond of, like Andy Schleck who has yet to impress me. I actually do like most of the team but not their leader.

Liquigas has a cool name. And cool jerseys. I'm liking Roman Kreuziger. He's impressed me more than Andy Schleck because he can time trial. Liquigas probably won't win the TTT but they will probably do well.

Garmin is probably the team I dislike the most. Last year's tour was full of Jonathon Vaughters, his sideburns, and sweaters. I do not like Jonathon Vaughters. He doesn't seem like a cyclist. I also don't like some of the members of the team such as David Millar who is so full of himself. The team actually seems to be full of overrated time trialists such as David Millar, Bradley Wiggens, and Dave Zabriskie. They're always talking about what great a team it is. I can't stand the team. Sure, they're American but countries don't matter as much in cycling. They're a team that seems overrated. I was so glad when Columbia beat them in the TTT in the Giro. Cav in pink and my least favorite team just losing to my favorite team. That was a good TTT.

Columbia Highroad is wonderful. I love the team. When Discovery disbanded, I was looking for a new team to follow. I did not want to cheer for Astana because they had no right to try and reconstruct the DC team. Most of the DC boys were going to Astana but there was one that wasn't. I followed George Hincapie to the team that changed from T-Mobile to Highroad to Columbia Highroad to whatever they are called now. I really liked the whole idea of the team. They seemed to fit together very well and were a true team. Everybody had a chance to ride for themselves but they would also ride for others. They had a good anti doping program. They had a lot of young talented riders but they also had George Hincapie and now Zabel to mentor them. Bob Stapleton seemed to know what he was doing and had some really good ideas. And so, I fell in love with the team before they showed everyone else how amazing they were. I liked Cav before the world liked Cav, before he was the fastest. I liked the team when they didn't have a sponsor or those awesome results they have since achieved. It really feels like they are my team almost. They've given me a lot of talent to cheer on. I actually have someone to yell for in the sprints but in the other races as well. What they did in stage three was awesome. But what is even better is after they win the races. Seeing Cav hug his teammates after he wins, hearing them continually thank each other. That's why they're my team.

Astana is a team that I'm unsure about. I don't like Levi, I used to like Contador but now am undecided about him, I like Kloden because he is overlooked, and I like Popo, but not when he was on Cadel's team. I don't like the idea of the team, it's like another Discovery only not as good. The team has a lot of talent but they don't have the opportunities to use it. I decided I didn't really like the team and then Lance came back. I first watched the TdF when my dad turned it on one day a couple years ago. Lance is the reason I began following cycling. I loved Lance. And yet, when he announced he was coming back, I was mad. It's a long story and involves many reasons, but basically, I didn't want him to come back. I'm still angry that he did it, but I'm more okay with it. He has made it more difficult to follow cycling. I can't cheer against him, he's Lance. Lance Armstrong, who I have cheered on for so many days as he rode in France. Lance Armstrong, who made me love cycling. I want him to win but I also don't want him to. Somebody else should be able to win. But this is about the TTT. As much as I love Columbia and would like to see them win, I would also like to see Astana win it. Lance's team wins the TTT and Astana may be a different team but they are Lance's team. I have to cheer them on.

1 comment:

Vincent said...

I'm in the same boat, I love Lance, follow him on Twitter, facebook and everywhere else I can, however, his return to the tour is really frustrating. I think Contador is amazing and I think Lance is screwing him over. I really don't like the way that in every interview Lance refers to Contador as the team leader "for now". Personally I think they are going to hit the hills, Contador will drop Lance like a rock and finally he will have to fall into line.

This year is so good, there is such a handful of teams in the TTT that can just power out so much wattage. I'm going with Astana, Columbia, Slipstream for 1,2,3. Watching the opening ITT I just don't see anyone beating Astana