Wednesday, December 31, 2008

AN ICE COLD RACE

The last race of the year sounds like a good idea, if you live in Florida or something like that. In Iowa, not so much. It was 4 degrees outside at 9:00 a.m. when I ran my race. The gravel trail where we ran parts of our race on was partly covered by snow and ice. And not all of the ice was thin and crunchy, the stuff that you can keep upright on. Some of the ice was in sheets, shiny like glass. In one area there was a frozen puddle that was more the size of a small pond. It looked like a good ice skating rink but dangerous to run on.

True, it was supposed to be a fun run or whatever that is, but who goes for "fun runs" when it's 4 degrees out. Apparently quite a few people. When I went to warm up outside about 40 minutes before the race, there was no one else. There was a lot of people warming up on the indoor track at the rec center, but I prefer not to run around 200m elipses over and over and over. Instead I ran around a parking lot in multiple layers. I figured I might as well get used to it before the race.

When we actually gathered for the race, we were told that we had the option of running inside around the track and no one would make fun of us for not wanting to run outside (wimps). We had to take multiple pictures and get told that it was only a "fun run" and not a real race (which is a total lie) before we could actually start the race. There was no official starting line and we were just yelled at to go which allowed me to start towards the front. Less than 400m from where we started we had to cross a busy street. I stopped because I didn't want to get hit by a car but this idiot little kid who looked about 10, ran in front of the car. A few cars later an adult, probably the kids dad, raced in front of the cars. I waited until there was no potential collision waiting to happen before I crossed the street and ran across the frosty field (where I passed the idiot little kid).

The next part of my race was running 3 laps around the trail at the park which happens to be the site of my home xc course. I haven't really ran around the trail before, only parts of it, but everywhere I looked I found more memories of practices and races even though we were running around the course backwards. There was the bridge that constantly contained people even during a race, the always muddy spot where people slip near the evergreens, and the slight hill that never fails in tiring you out.

On the first lap I realized I had started out way too fast. I should've started out slower but I was so caught up in racing and beating a bunch of guys, especially the ones in the matching outfits, that I sprinted. While going up the slight hill, the one that always tires me out, I found that a 5k is longer than you think. I hit the downhill and I felt a lot better even though I almost fell on an icy corner. At least the guy behind me didn't laugh. I also got a compliment on my knee socks, my incredibly luck red and black ones that I specially chose for my race. This was by a volunteer but I had gotten another one earlier from the only female to beat me.

On the second lap, after that little hill, I began thinking of excuses I could tell others, but mostly myself, as to why I completely sucked during this race. I had only let a few people pass me but I was slowing way down and my legs were getting tired. I thought the cold, tired legs, maybe an ache here or there could convince people that it really wasn't my fault I slowed down so much and completely lost the race. When I started passing the familiar xc spots I realized I was a complete idiot. If I sucked, it was my fault, the same as it was if I rocked. This was when my legs started feeling better although they might have finally been going numb. Somebody passed me right after that but I was ready to finish my race.

The third lap was hard but I was in my zone. I concentrated on picking up the pace and efficiently dodging ice. Near a large ice puddle, an man wearing a winter coat that was open and flying back in the wind, passed me. At first I couldn't figure out why he was racing me, I thought he was just exercising on the trail like some walkers I had passed. He was actually in the race though, because he followed the path I was running. I didn't see him before or after the race, and I'm not sure he did all the laps (you didn't have to but those who didn't, wimps) but he kind of freaked me out. Everyone else who had passed me, although not as colorful, were wearing all the right running gear. Speaking of which, I saw many people wearing the running tights without shorts over them. At my school and all the others I've seen, you wear shorts over the tights. Without the shorts, you remind me of an annoying girl on the team who likes to show off as much skin in tight clothes as possible. Also, it's just gross.

After my third lap and running across the open field behind the coat dude, we had to stop at a stoplight. It was there I met up with one pair of guys who were wearing matching clothes, the college aged ones. I was very close to them before the light and would've passed them if we hadn't had to stop but I liked the look on their faces when they saw a girl was close to beating them. Once the light changed, I ran behind them for a bit so they would forget about me. Then I slowly sped up, although I was very tired, so I was running beside them. One of the guy kept giving me looks but I sprinted for the non existant finish line.

I ended up beating them, but then sitting beside them while I won no door prizes (they both won backpacks). Most of the prizes were strange but I got Gatorade and 2 waters. It was red Gatorade, which I don't really like, but I was fast enough so that I didn't have to drink the yellow, pure disgusting sugar Gatorade. I also got a pink colored energy gel that looks like something they eat (or drink?) at the Tour de France. Since I don't plan on riding up the Alps at 30mph anytime soon, I don't think the gel will be used. My tie dye T-shirt is pretty cool though so all the race stuff wasn't that bad.

My time was 29:02, give or take a few seconds, which seems incredibly crappy. I was at least in the top 15 so I really wasn't that bad. The combination of the cold, ice and snow, and an unknown route all factored into the time. I'm still not spreading the news of my time around though but the race was a lot of fun.

No comments: