Sunday, January 11, 2009

NO MORE EXCUSES

This week was a week of progress. 31.9 miles of progress to be exact. Lately I haven't been training very well for track and have been worrying that my results will show it. I don't want to disappoint my family, my teammates, myself, and most of all my coach. Most of the time I can't stand him, but during xc I realized that my coach isn't as bad as I thought. My coach might actually have started believing in me and I don't want to let him down. And let's face it, running for results that at the moment seem far away hasn't exactly got me outside when it's been nice and cozy inside.

Last week I ran a measly amount of miles that does not deserve to be published but I had excuses. It was cold, icy, the streets weren't cleared of snow, there wasn't enough daylight to run in, my legs were sore, my fast teammates weren't getting my runs in, and I was bored with running the same roads around my house multiple times just to get a small run in. But these are the same excuses I've been using all winter to justify my small mileage. I realized that since I don't believe in excuses during a race (unless there is a really good one) than excuses shouldn't count during normal runs either.

Weather should not be an excuse as to why I'm slacking off. Because as Bill Bowerman says in one of my favorite quotes, "There is no bad weather, only soft people". I've been complaining about bad weather, bad road conditions, etc. but those are just excuses that soft people make. I can run in over 100 degree heat so I should be able to run when it's below freezing out. Sure, my cheeks will get numb but at least I won't sweat as much. I have run in thunderstorms, heavy rain, mud, and freezing rain, yet I was making excuses as to why I couldn't run because it was too windy out. I had been turning into one of those soft people who I make fun of as they pass me in their nice warm cars while I'm running.

My coach doesn't make excuses. He thinks there should be no reason that we aren't hitting our times even though its pouring rain and thundering with mud that sucks on your shoes, 90 degrees and sunny with no shade, or 20 degrees and icy. This is obviously very annoying because it's not like we aren't trying. But none of my excuses I tell myself would my coach even consider. He'd tell me to suck it up or use one of those funny sayings he's always telling us. He just started running again after xc ended so I'm not sure if he's as strict with himself as he is with us, but I'm pretty sure he'd get mad if he found out about my training. But I like those few and far between smiles and congratulations I get from him so I've decided to work harder. I mean, my coach is actually running (I saw him run for the first time in November) and I don't want him to be able to beat me when he runs with us. I want to be able to impress him and show him that I can do this. That I am a runner and will work hard to accomplish something he and I would be proud of.

I've been thinking about this for awhile and this Monday I decided to do something about it. I ran 5.65 miles after choosing a new out and back route that is very hilly but as my dad would say, "builds character". I ran the same route Tuesday and Wednesday, getting more tired but dropping almost a minute each time I ran it. Thursday I went to a gym and ran a fast 2.25 miles before swimming because a friend wanted me to workout with her. I was almost going to count this as a rest day but thought I could get enough miles in later in the week while still taking an actual rest day. Friday I didn't run. I made the excuse that it was too slushy outside and my legs were sore. I gave into the excuses but promised myself to run the rest of the week. Saturday I ran 5.65 miles. It was super windy and kind of slushy but I pushed through it. Plus there was an article about cycling and running in the sports section which hardly ever happens, so I was able to be inspired. Today, Sunday, I ran 7.05 miles very slowly. Physically I knew I could do it even though my legs were a little sore. The wind and cold turned it into more of a mental battle though, but I did it. All 31.9 miles of it.

As I sit here typing this, my legs are very tired. But they are a good tired because I know that hard work is what made them sore. Now I can talk to my coach and tell him without lying or not telling the whole truth, that I actually got my miles in. I won't have to avoid his room anymore and I will finally be able to walk around knowing that I accomplished something this week. I can now look at the sprinters and laugh again at the meager training they call running. I am myself again now that I running more than a few miles and am putting everything into my training. I have figured out that running is hard but harder when you make excuses. Because excuses may belong in other sports but they have no place in running.