Sunday, December 7, 2008

WHY I RUN

I have been waiting a long time (as in since October when I last had one of those days) to know the answer to this question and today I figured it out. Yesterday I was asking myself why couldn't I have played a sport with a ball that can be played indoors. Why didn't I take up volleyball, bowling, soccer, or basketball? Why, of all sports, did I have to run? Why do I run? Today I know the answer.

I run because of days like today, where you feel you can go on for forever. I was going to force myself to do 3 but instead I ran 7. Seven whole miles just because I felt like it. It was one of those days you don't want to stop. The days that happen when I allow myself to forget the soreness in my legs, forget the wind and cold, forget everything but running. I forget that I am required to run, that without these runs I won't be able to have more good runs. Instead I focus on the moment, my run, and it no longer is work. It becomes fun and turns into a passion.

I run because I am dedicated. Why else did I run seven miles when it is 17 degrees outside not factoring in the wind chill. When the people don't even bother shoveling their snow for thirty minutes. Days when all you want to do is snuggle under the covers instead of running. But you do it anyways. And sometimes, every once in awhile it doesn't feel like a chore. You are able to enjoy the cold because you know that the people in the cars can only wish to be as dedicated as you. That they might look at you and think you are crazy but deep down they think that being able to do that is amazing. No one else is outside but you, no one bothers to do anything except you which is what makes me dedicated. Running is dedication.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Very insightful and also very true. When I run or cycle in the cold I like to think people consider me nuts to be out there, but I prefer it to being indoors.

This is what makes you a better person and athlete.