Saturday, December 6, 2008

ACTS OF KINDNESS

My dad is home from the hospital now and doing much better. He got home Wednesday and has improved a lot. He walks around more and lays on the couch less. He still can't do any lifting but I do it for him. He's also in a better mood.

One thing that has really stood out for me in this whole experience is what people have done. There have been lots of phone calls, emails, and cards from my family, coworkers, neighbors, friends, etc. My family sent a fruit basket which is really yummy. My mom's coworkers have volunteered to make food for us, though we didn't need any. My mom's boss and his family sent flowers, well more of a flower arrangement. It's very Christmasy.

My favorite act of kindness would have to be from my dad's coworkers. I had just gotten home from school and my run and was doing my homework when the doorbell rang. Two or three of my dad's coworkers were at the door in full snow gear. My mom was on her way out and was surprised to see them. They said they were here because they heard we needed new windshield wipers. Apparently the ones on my dad's car weren't working and my mom had been complaining about it for awhile. They installed the new ones and talked to my dad for awhile. They made sure we didn't need any more help like with shoveling snow, meals, or anything like that. It was incredibly sweet to think that people are willing to do this kind of stuff. I guess I didn't realize that people are that kind. I want to thank everyone who has done things for us or sent us notes. It has helped me realize that humans can be good people afterall.

On a sidenote, Happy Birthday Alberto Contador. It's already the next day where you are but good luck with your races this year. I hope you dominate in the Tour and make Lance work for you. Have fun at training camp and have a good birthday.

1 comment:

Eric said...

I'm glad to hear your dad is feeling better. It's always a scary time when loved ones are ill.

"It has helped me realize that humans can be good people afterall." - Believe that there is good in all people. Some just show it better than others. Remember your bell ringing for the Salvation Army. Good people come in many packages.