Saturday, December 20, 2008

SNOW

I love running in the snow. When the snow doesn't consist of large flakes, but smaller and seemlingly soft flakes that just lazily fall to the ground. Today it was almost like running in a snow globe.

I had another excuse to run in the middle of the street because none of the sidewalks were cleared (but I wouldn't have run on them anyways). Hardly anyone was out shoveling or snowblowing so it was almost like I was the only one outside. It was very serene and quiet, at certain points in my run the only sound I heard was my footsteps and sometimes my own breath. My run was calming and peaceful because the only thing besides me outside was the snow. I'd like to think of it as a connection with nature that just so happened in the middle of a residental street.

Sometimes I just stopped in the middle of the street to listen to the silence and watch the snowflakes slowly float to the ground. When I caught them in my glove they looked like stereotypical snowflakes. Like the ones you make as a little kid or ones you see in pictures. It was a perfect snow, in a way.

Running in weather that looks like a snow globe is amazing. It helps me connect not just to nature, but the reason I love running. When most people are hiding in their houses because it's cold and snowy outside, I'm becoming stronger and faster while at the same time enjoying it. Snow is one of my favorite types of weather to run in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great way to describe running through the snow. I love it also. SOOOO peaceful.