Wednesday, November 5, 2008

YES WE DID

I am now the proud owner of a HOPE sign. I am also a proud member of this country who have decided they want change and have elected Barack Obama for president. The front page in our newspaper was way better than the major newspapers however.

The HOPE sign is sitting in my living room and I didn't even have to steal one. My lovely mother asked one of the neighbors if I could have it and that wonderful neighbor gave it to me. She had two HOPE signs and was even willing to give them both to me. What nice ladies my mom and neighbor are. I am so excited that I finally have a HOPE sign. That way I won't have to rely on others to keep their campaign signs up.

Also I am really excited that Obama won. I still don't really believe it. I guess I knew that he probably would but I am still kind of shocked that so many people voted for him. Others must agree that he's the right candidate at the right time. We are taking a chance electing him president, but I think it's a chance we need to take. The U.S. has a history of taking chances and of change so maybe it is what we need.

I thought McCain's concession speech was very good. I think that when he said that it was not our but his fault he lost, he was wrong. It wasn't his fault he lost, he probably could have been elected at a different time, but he just wasn't right for this election. I respect him a great deal and agree that what he went through as a POW makes him an American hero. That doesn't qualify you to be president but it does make you admire him. True, his choice of Palin for VP was a terrible decision and I didn't agree with many of his policies, but I admired the grace he had while admitting defeat. I also admired him for stopping the rude booing during his speech. (Although even McCain was cheered in Chicago.)

I think Obama's speech rocked. It was one of his best and watching him speak in front of the American flags made me love my country. I liked how he referenced the 106 year old lady and what events she had lived through; it made me realize how much we have changed. I also liked the "yes we can" part, I was chanting right along with the crowd. Obama really is an amazing speaker. I am also proud of helping support Obama in this historical election that helped break one of the final racial barriers. I would have loved to be standing in that crowd in Chicago or in DC or in any other place where they had Obama parties. But most of all, I'm proud to support Obama and want to thank him for supporting me by giving out those HOPE signs.

No comments: