Monday, November 3, 2008

WHY I LOVE OBAMA

I am going running today! For the first time in more than a week. It's been strange to have all this energy and to be able to run up and down the stairs countless times (not that I did this repetitively because I was bored or anything....). My hamstring only hurts when I twist my leg so I think I'm going to finally start running again even though its incredibly warm at 74 degrees. It's NOVEMBER, it's not meant to feel like spring. But apparently we're supposed to have snow on Friday so it's all good.

What I'm really excited about is election day. I'm going to make all my last minute Hubdub bets and finalize my election day outfit. Sure, I'm not a real American because I'm supporting Obama but I can still get excited. I'm also going to watch SNL tonight because it's one of the greatest things about this election (all presidential SNL skits can be found on Huffington Post, which is the only reason I go to that site).

But this post is really about why I love Obama. Or why I support him. So here is five reasons I love and support Barack Obama for president.

1. Obama will lead us into the future. He supports clean alternative energy instead of offshore drilling. I think that we need more hybrid vehicles and alternative energy like wind, solar, etc. power. He and Joe Biden also agree that global warming is man made and needs to be reversed. I think that Obama has the right ideas to help fix global warming. We won't need to worry about other things for the future if we don't have a planet.

2. Obama represents the American dream. I think we all know his story now, just like John McCains. He grew up on the south side of Chicago being the son of a single parent.....eventually going to Harvard and becoming a lawyer to fight for the less unfortunate....etc. etc. He came from the bottom and now he's almost at the top. Obama worked for what he is now and didn't have any connections or special privileges. That is the American dream. By becoming president, he would be an example of how there still is an American dream and it still happens. Many immigrants and people of other countries would look at our country and see that we still are a good country and that you can still achieve things here. Obama actually represents the hope of immigrants and people everywhere.

3. He has the coolest campaign slogans and yard signs. They are way cooler than McCain's and possibly the best ever. How can you go against "Hope" or "Change". No wonder McCain's beginning to steal it. Those words are even more important now, because hope and change are what people want and need. Plus those HOPE signs inspire people, like me while running.

4. Obama is willing to talk. He has stated before that he will talk to the leaders of other countries personally. McCain thinks that this is wrong. I don't really know why, I've seen pictures in my old history book of Reagan hanging out with Mikhail Gorbachav (who has an awesome name). Reagan achieved a lot in foreign countries. I think that lack of talking is part of what got us in to this huge mess. By actually sitting down and talking there will be less misunderstandings, more agreements and compromises, and more getting stuff done.

5. I got to shake his hand. This is not the greatest reason but I think it would be pretty awesome. I didn't actually shake his hand, the shake part wasn't there but my hand was in his hand. Granted he was just reached out his hands and whoever was there took it (I took some else's handshake) but I also go to here him talk. There wasn't crowds of 100,000, we didn't chant, and no one was holding up signs. This was in the beginning of his campaign but it was still very inspiring.

I do have more and I was going to write more and possibly make it 10 reasons but in the midst of writing this I found out Barack Obama's grandmother had died of cancer. Now I think cancer is a terrible disease, it's one reason I wear my LiveSTRONG wristband. But this is Obama's grandmother who raised him and was very close to him and supportive of what he has done. It makes me very upset with her not able to live until at least Tuesday or Wednesday and be able to see the results of the election (when I heard she broke her hip, I was hoping that she would make it until her birthday at least). I think that this shouldn't happen to either one of the candidates, McCain or Obama. If Obama wins, what a bittersweet victory it will be. How will he even be able to concentrate on the election without one of his closest family members. If I could was able to talk to Obama right now I wouldn't ask him about the election, I would give him a hug and tell him how incredibly sorry I am. Because he doesn't deserve this. Even McCain realizes this. I think many other people feel sorry for him too, I was getting teary eyed while reading this article. So I offer Obama my condolences and wish him the very best in this election. We need his leadership, guidance, and most of all, hope.

No comments: