Sunday, November 9, 2008

BRRRRR

I've been running this week, only taking one day off. Thursday I set a new PR on one of my 2 mile routes. Friday I took a break because it was sleeting and I had basically raced myself on Thursday. The past two days I've done 2 miles but it's a little bit different from the beginning of the week. For one thing it's 32 degrees outside and it's been snowing off and on since Friday. During the middle of my run yesterday I started to repeat this quote to myself, "There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people" by Bill Bowerman. I chanted it to myself when the wind made my cheeks go numb today.

I've ended my first week of training and it's gone pretty well. No major aches or pains and my hamstring feels a lot better. It still feels a little sore when I stretch it sitting down, but when I run it doesn't hurt anymore. The inside of my knees have hurt a little and it makes me feel old, like I've got arthritis or something. It's probably just from starting up running again.

The cold has bothered me more than it usually does this week. I usually love running when it's cold but now I remember all that comes with it. A constantly runny nose, sore throat, chapped lips, dried out hands from not wearing gloves, and always being cold after your run. The chili I'll have for supper might warm me up. I like this better than the 70 degree weather we had earlier in the week though. Except I think I'll miss my running tan that has started to fade. Sure I might have looked dorky wearing flip flops with my white feet but to me, my running tan says dedication.

I was thinking a lot about the upcoming track season during my run today. I've improved a lot over the summer and I think I can be pretty good if I don't hurt myself. One thing I'm going to do different this winter is make sure I get all my miles in. Last winter we had all that ice so I skipped a bunch of days. I'm going to run every day I possibly can, no matter how cold. Ice can be dangerous but I think I will be able to work around it. I'm also going to keep doing my core workouts. I did them during the summer but then I slacked off once xc season started. I'm going to do them all winter so I will be in shape for track. This includes the pushups I've incorporated into my workout. I might actually get arm muscles.

My HOPE sign has yet to go up in my room because I'm trying to figure out where to put it. I love it though, I think it's going to make me faster.

No comments: