Wednesday, November 19, 2008

DARK HORSE

To be a true fan of a certain band or singer, I think that you have to like two consecutive albums. The true test of my Nickelback fanness happened on November 18. Because it's finally here. After the two long years since I became a fan when the single "Far Away" came out, the new Nickelback CD I've been waiting for is finally out. I haven't bought it yet, although it's been a day since November 18. I'm planning on giving it to myself this weekend as an early Thanksgiving gift. I can't wait until Christmas to get it. So even though I haven't bought it, I'm going to go ahead and review it based on iTunes samples and Youtube.

1. Something In Your Mouth: This song is disgusting. But it's okay if you don't listen to the words and ignore the chorus. The rest of the song is actually okay as long as you kind of tune the words out. Other than that it's incredibly gross but not terrible.

2. Burn it to the Ground: This is my favorite rock song on the album. It's awesome. I really like the guitar beat in the background and the chorus is contagious.

3. Gotta Be Somebody: Love this song, it definately makes the top 3. It is a great first single and from the beginning to the end it's great. The lyrics are awesome, they will appeal to a lot of people, and I think it is going to be a hit. Even the haters sometimes admit this song is okay. It will also make a good running song.

4. I'd Come for You: This is a great song. Second best on this album in my opinion. Good lyrics, good music, it has everything. It starts off great without the drums in a more acoustic feel. It's another one of those power ballads that Nickelback rocks at so I think this will also be a hit.

5. Next Go Round: So basically the entire song is terrible except the chorus which is still not the best. It gets slightly better towards the end, but this song is really bad. I expected better.

6. Just to Get High: I like most of this song especially the guitar solo except for when Chad does this weird voice thing. It's just too weird and doesn't sound good. The rest of the song is pretty good.

7. Never Gonna Be Alone: I absolutely love this song. It's one of the greatest songs ever. I loved it in the first two seconds, the beginning is perfect. I have listened to this song over and over and I still love every part, even though it's stuck in my head. It's so fitting that the greatest song of this album is number seven. It's like the "Far Away" (my favorite song ever) of this album. If this is not a huge hit, than I don't know what will be. Somebody mentioned this would be a good song for weddings and I've decided that at my wedding this song will play because it's beautiful. This song is Nickelback.

8. Shakin' Hands: This song is terrible. There's no good part of this song. The lyrics are immature and gross, the music isn't that great, they are bringing up Disney princesses in this terrible song, it's not good. This might be the first and last time I listen to this song.

9. S.E.X.: It's not as bad as the one before it, but it's not good. Once again with the lyrics, they are a little bit graphic but beyond that, it's not a bad song. It has a nice beat but the lyrics have that shallow teenage boy thing going on again. I think Nickelback is having trouble growing up.

10. If Today Was Your Last Day: I like this song, it's pretty good. I like the lyrics, they're inspirational, and it sounds cool. It's one of their power ballads, which I love so this is one of my favorites.

11. This Afternoon: It's a little too country but it's not bad. The chorus is my favorite part but I don't particulary like the beginning. I like more of a rock sound, but I think it's okay as an ending to the album. The people talking in the background gets annoying too.

Overall, I think this CD was better than "All the Right Reasons". Although Dark Horse has more bad songs than the last one, it also has more fantastic songs. People who were fans of beginning Nickelback may be a little disappointed, because there are more ballads on this CD and the Nickelback haters will still not be happy. I am happy with this album though and I think most people will be.

No comments: