Friday, October 24, 2008

I DID MY BEST

Well, my miracle didn't happen. We didn't make it to state, we got 6th out of 9 teams. I'm not that disappointed but I still am a little. You always have this hope at the back of your mind that you will do whatever you set out to do. What I'm most upset about is that xc is over. Sure, I hate it sometimes but I really love it. I can barely walk right now, my right hamstring hurts so bad, but I'd give almost anything to go to state and continue practice. Right now my life seems empty. A week without running is basically empty. So to make it seem like xc hasn't ended yet, I must do my race report.

First off, it was a good day for a race. Only 42 degrees, pretty windy (although the wind was mostly gone by the time we had our race), and it was misty with only a little rain as I made my way to the starting line. It had raining before though so the ditch we usually run through twice was now a stream. They had to change the course so we went over another little bridge instead of through the ditch, which adds around 20 seconds to your time. I would rather have run through the ditch, we could have just jumped over the stream. They should let the runner's make these choices, it would have been around 3/4 of a mile with wet spikes which I would willingly go through to get a better time.

We actually warmed up as a team for the first time this year and we had 9 people warming up because, also for the first time this year, we were running a full varsity team (with 2 alternates). We warmed up 50 minutes instead of an hour before, which is what I usually do, because it gives me more time to stretch and do all my stuff. My right ankle was hurting a little bit but my hamstring felt pretty good. I was wearing all my under armour so I wouldn't freeze although I liked the weather. As I walked over to the finish line, it was beginning to rain. But around 3 minutes later it stopped. We did the usual strides but we didn't do a cheer or have a pep talk like the other teams.

So we take the sweats off at the last minute of course and right away the gun goes off. I was going to try to keep track of my teammates so I could try to keep up with them. I was actually trying to pace myself this time, but at the beginning you don't pace yourself. You run with everyone else who has to sprint the first 800m. My first 800m was in 3:07 before I settled into the pace I wanted. I was going to try and run 6:30's throughout which on a normal course would get me around 16:15 but around 16:35 on this course. Before we went over the bridge to get to the other side of the course, we always go through this huge crowd of people. When the race started it seemed like no one was there, and although the crowd was a little smaller it seemed a little louder. After we cross the bridge, we go up a slight hill and there is usually people lining the sides. I kind of like this part, because even though it's a hill, it makes me feel like I'm in the Tour de France riding up a mountain. As I went up that hill, I kept repeating to myself that this might be the most important race I have ever run, so I must run fast now and breathe at the end. It also helped that another coach was screaming at his runners that they weren't going fast enough. Our coach is more supportive during the meets, although he's not always the greatest at practices. My first mile was in 6:30, right on the mark.

I really don't like the middle part of the course. It seems long and it's pretty hilly although it doesn't really look that way. There's a bunch of trees too where people tend to bunch up around. The second mile, my hamstring started to hurt. I had put some Bio Freeze stuff on it so I tried to make it feel better. What really helped me during the second mile was the fact that the guy's team cheered for my by name. They've cheered before but this time they called me by my name which mattered more than the other people cheering for me (we also had more people cheering for us this time). I also passed this girl who I really wanted to beat, we kind of have this friendly rivalry thing going on, so I told myself to beat her. I also kept telling myself that I could rest later. At the 2 mile mark, I didn't look at my watch but a coach yelled out 13:30. I started sprinted around this point.

Around 500m to the finish, I started slowing down a little. This girl I had been running with (from a different team) told me that I could do this, that I could keep up with her. Besides wondering why she would tell an opposing runner this when we are all trying to beat each other so we can go to state, it really inspired me. I immediately sprinted and I tried to keep up with her as long as possible. At about the 400m mark there was a lot of people yelling and cheering. On the left side I could see the finish line and people cheering. I knew that I had to make these last 400m good. Then there was almost nobody and everyone was sprinting. I sprinted the straightaway, but the last 100m I was exhausted. I was running myself into the ground, I wasn't standing tall. It was a weird feeling. Around 10m from the line, me and the girl who talked to me caught a member of the team that runs together. My coach had told me to try and catch these girls and now 3 of us were sprinting for the line. I accidently (and it truly was an accident) elbowed the other girl. The fact that I was sprinting and I was tired was making my form get sloppy. All of a sudden the other girls elbow each other and we all started elbowing each other. The other girls beat me across the line, but I really gave it all. My time was 16:46 which was only 2 seconds faster than last week but they had made the course around 20 seconds longer. I think I could have dealt with wet shoes though to maybe get a new PR. My coach was happy with me and another girl and even though we didn't make it to state I still am proud of my team. I beat the girl I wanted to win against and it helped the fact that I got caught at the finish line. I think I improved a lot mentally and physically in this race though. I'm going to miss xc. I tried my hardest and I did pretty good.

On the plus side, after my race when I got into the car one of my new favorite songs, "Gotta be Somebody" by Nickelback comes on. They always make you feel better.

No comments: