Friday, February 20, 2009

SOARING, FLYING

Earlier today, I set a new PR, breaking the one set on Tuesday. Including this week, I have run 6 miles under 50 minutes three separate times. Two of those runs came this week.

September 22, 2008- 48:17
February 17, 2009- 47:11
February 20, 2009- 46:26

The strangest thing about my run was that I didn't feel like I was going that fast. My legs have been tired so I just wanted a long, slow easy run. I set out to do my own pace and not race with my faster teammate or my coach. I just wanted to get some recovery miles in. During the first half, it felt like I was doing a pretty good job of that. My teammate was ahead of me but still in sight while my coach was behind me. I was feeling good but more of a relaxing run good. Then I reached the halfway point. My watch read 23:11. Tuesday's PR mark at that spot- 24:00.

My initial reaction was to make sure my watch was still going and that I didn't bump any of the buttons. Once I was assured of this, I just thought to myself how awesome it was that my "slow" run was on track to be a PR. I didn't speed up, well maybe a little. I just made sure my teammate didn't get too far ahead and kept going. I did race up the last .75 mile stretch to make sure I got my time but I didn't go fast enough to feel like I needed to stop. I checked my watch once I was done and there was that wonderful number. 46:26 which is a 7:45 minute pace.

I found my teammate after I finished and checked to see what her time was to make sure I hadn't messed my watch up. She said it was 45:something which meant my time was for real. I had really gone that fast. I told her that I didn't believe I went that fast and she responded by saying "Yeah, we were really flying out there".

I'm still in disbelief about my time though. I believe I can run that fast but I didn't feel like I was today. Slow recovery runs aren't supposed to go that fast. It was supposed to be around 50 minutes but I was so much speedier. The biggest thing is that this was after four days of running fast. I'm not complaining though, I'd like these days to come more often.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Way To Go Girl. I remember how good I felt during my long runs leading up to Ironman. Nice easy pace, low HR, awesome pace.

Sometimes when you free your mind from going fast everything tends to click and the speed come out and feels effortlessly. don't force it.....feel it.

A lot of the elite runners will tell you...their best times come under the least stressful circumstances. Have fun.

Vincent said...

sweet! Congrats