Friday, January 23, 2009

IT'S A NEW DAY

Having been inspired by President Obama's (doesn't that sound cool?) inauguration and the multiple Obama songs by Will.I.Am, I'm getting into this "it's a new day" thing. I actually did a lot of my homework before I needed to, I've already ran over two 7 mile runs this week, I'm at 23.8 miles with two more days of running to go, and I got a new haircut that I actually like. And I talked to my coach this morning and have been thinking about my schedule next year instead of ignoring it.

Of course, I've done all this great stuff this week but nobody seems to care. All any adult seems to be concerned with now is the future. Not that I'm not concerned with the future, I do support President Obama, but it just seems so far away. I like being a kid. I like my school, my friends, my xc and track team, sometimes even my coach. I like my meets, my classes, my teachers, my new haircut, and playing the sims. I even like being told what to do. It seems like when I make the "big move" and go to college, I'll have to give it all up. I'm not sure I want that kind of change though. I don't like making all these big decisions and trying to find a career while everyone still treats you like a kid. It's just so.....overwhelming.

Adults seem to be keeping everything a secret. I still am confused about next year's classes not to mention the whole college/find your major thing. I don't know what college I want to go to or what I want to major in. I ask people for suggestions but they all say something like "it's your decision". But the reason I ask is that there are so many jobs out there, so much stuff I could do. It's an important decision that nobody seems to tell you anything about. It's not an easy decision either.

I like math. At least I thought I did until we began learning calculus. Imaginary numbers now seem easy compared to this. I like history. A.P. World History was so much fun and it was very interesting. U.S. History isn't as fun but I really like learning all these little facts about the people who made the world the way it is now. But do you suppose you could find a major dealing with history and math? If you like math, you're supposed to like science. I do not like science. Possible because every science teacher but one, I've disliked, but also because it's just so.....boring. It also has to do with the fact that I kind of get it, but no one ever forces me to really know the information, so then again I don't get it. I don't want a career in science, but math and science go hand in hand it seems.

I've thought about engineering because that's obviously math related. I even looked up the different kinds of engineering on wikipedia and various other sites. Most sites just give you a basic overview of what engineering involves. Nobody seems to answer my question of what engineers really do. Does anybody know or do they just avoid answering the question? I can't decide on a college major if I don't even know what half of them are about. It's such a confusing process.

Now I've rambled on and not really solved anything, but I have figured out that I will figure this out somehow. Because "it's a new day" and I just need to take advantage of that. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself anyways. I'm still a kid, no matter what adults are trying to convince me of. This realization calls for some kind of youthful activity. Sledding and playing computer games are now more appealing than they have been.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Oh to be young again. Enjoy what you have today and tomorrow and don't worry about the future too much.

You will find that things will start to click without warning and you will have some ideas about college and career.

Don't forget that each area has specialties. For engineering there is mechanical, electrical, aeronautic, structural, etc.

You will be fine.