Sunday, January 25, 2009

MY QUESTION

On Thursday I ran in shorts. In January. It was a balmy 38 degrees out and as an Iowan, I know that you shouldn't pass up chances like this. I mean, it was over over 60 degrees warmer than last Thursday. Plus there's almost nothing better than shorts in January. To take advantage of this opportunity, I ran 7.3 miles, over a mile more than I was going to do. I wasn't going very fast but I enjoyed it a lot although my shoes were soaked throughout the run. But the sun was out and birds were singing on this unusually warm day which I very much liked.

Yesterday it was 6 degrees during my 3.24 mile run. I was bundled up in my cold weather gear but I was still cold. I certainly had the right to be; a 32 degree drop in two days. My throat was sore and I have developed a cough so the cold air just made me more miserable. I was glad I had done my long mileage earlier in the week so I did not have to run far. I did the same route today but it was warmer at 14 degrees. It was still chilly though. Although they were tough, I put my miles in for a grand total of 30.3 miles this week. Half those runs were long runs so I think I did a pretty good job. As long as the weather gets better, I might be able to keep this up.

As I went through my chilly run, I asked myself why I was doing this. Why was I running when most sane people would be inside? What was the point of pushing myself till I wanted to walk or till I couldn't feel my cheeks because of the wind? Why was I making myself run when I didn't feel good? Why did I run?

It wasn't a fabulous runner's high day so there was no easy answer to my question. Before I left for my run however, I looked at a picture hanging on my bulletin board. It's a photo from a newspaper from the 2004 Tour de France Team Time Trial that U.S. Postal Service won. It's not this famous photo, more like this one with the team in the rain, although not that exact picture. It has the title "Armstrong Territory" at the top and it helped answer my question today.

Lance rode for his team as evident in the winning team time trial. I run for my team, to help in the relays and to make others better. He rides to do his best, I was running so I could do my best in races. Lance was riding in pouring rain but that didn't stop him or his team. Cold weather was not going to stop me. He rode for his his coach, his family, and others who supported him. I was running to make those who support me proud. He was riding for himself, to make himself stronger and faster. My training run was only making me stronger and faster, to do better in other runs. Most of all, Lance was riding and has comeback to riding because he loves it. And that is were I found the true answer to my question.

Why was I out there running? Because I love it. I love running. This answer has kept me going on multiple runs, it has made me do more than I though I could. It's the reason I ran on the famous blue track at Drake were multiple Olympians have ran before me. It is also the reason I made varsity in xc. I hope this answer can make me keep running. Sure, it's cold and my throat hurt, but maybe I can overlook that.

Days like this when I run, sometimes I have to look for the answer. It might take me longer some days more than others. Sometimes I don't even have to ask. Other day's I will look and look and look. But I always find the answer.

1 comment:

Eric said...

I thought of this video when I read your post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIl5RxhLZ5U

Why do we train in adverse weather?

Because we can.