Tuesday, May 19, 2009

RACE REPORT: DISTRICTS (IV)

You would think that, at a state qualifying track meet, someone would double check all the results because they affect many people. If someone would've done that, maybe found a three that was supposed to be a two, our 4x800 relay team would be going to state for sure. We ran the time so we should get the reward. Yet we still don't know what is going on. All because of someone's mistake, one that might take away our state meet.

Yesterday, my dad talked to my coach, who said that something was wrong with the video so we had no proof, and therefore were not racing at state. I was devastated, I had thought we were making progress and then because of a video not working, we weren't going to state. It wasn't fair. We ran the time to qualify and because of someone's mistake, we weren't going to run at state, on the fantastic blue track. I had gotten my hopes up, which I know I shouldn't have done. It hurt though, it's not fair and we can't do anything about it.

It took me awhile but I called JS to tell her the news. That was a hard phone call to make but I knew that she should know. In that phone call though, she said something that fit our situation. JS told me that "you know, they're taking something away from us" and she's right. They are taking away something that we can't get back. This is not just a track meet that they aren't letting us run at, this is the state meet. This is RB's last chance, she's a senior so this is her last possible state meet. They're taking something away from us by mixing up our time. And it's something we have worked for, something we ran for.

JS and I talked to our athletic director this morning and he gave us different news, some that was better. He was going to talk to the people in charge of the district meet and watch two videos himself. He said he wasn't sure how much he could do, but that he could try, he was fighting for us. Our coach wasn't here but the head coach said we could go to the state meet even if we didn't run, and that he was emailing someone in charge of the state meet. Apparently these people weren't contacted because AL's dad emailed them, and they didn't know what was going on. They hadn't heard about the mixup of times and what we were doing about it. I know we don't have much of a chance of racing at state but I know that people are fighting for our chance. Knowing this makes it a lot easier because we want to do everything we can to try to run at state. We are going to do as much as we can to make sure we get there.

No comments: