Sunday, May 17, 2009

RACE REPORT: DISTRICTS (II)

On Tuesday, earlier this week, the mid distance coach decided that the 4x800 team would be chosen by having everyone who wanted to run the race at districts, run an 800 against each other. I can't believe my coach actually went along with this, although he did tell us about it the day before. JS and I were angry though, because we felt that we had already proved that we deserved a spot throughout the season. We had worked harder throughout the season and had raced better. We didn't think that the choice should come down to a single race between us, because you could be having a good or bad day. The mid distance coach insisted we do this however, so JS and I proceeded to kick everyone's butt, as I came in first with her right behind me in second. RB was third, as we knew she would probably be, and she was also angry at the decision. What angered us even further though, was the decision not to put the fastest 800m runner on our relay team. She had run a 2:29 before that, and we knew that with her, we'd get to state for sure. None of us liked her, but we thought she should be on our team. Apparently she did not think so, so she, along with the mid distance coach, decided she should run the distance medley and 4x400. Built in breaks would allow her to run both the 4x800 and the distance medley though, and our 4x400 team didn't have much of a chance of qualifying. They didn't give us a reason, but did tell RB that they only wanted her to run two events. We wouldn't accept these reasons but didn't have much of a choice in these decisions.

In the distance medley, the girl who should've been on our team ran a 2:27. If she would've ran a 2:33 in our race, we knew we would have definately qualified. Instead, we weren't sure if we would get to go to state, because of the stupid decision the coach had made. It was all we could talk about, as the three of us sat underneath an umbrella, watching as it rained during the meet. AL didn't seem to want to come near us so we could talk about our race as much as we wanted. We realized that if we didn't make it to state, we wouldn't be disappointed as much as mad. We could've been 10 seconds faster if the girl ran with us, so we knew that our relay could definately make it to state. We had the people, but because of a decision made that we had no choice in, we might not get the chance to go to state. Even as RB finished fourth in the 800m with 2:31, it was all we could talk about. JS and I even decided that maybe our coach would take us as alternates to state because we didn't think we would qualify.

It was steadily raining on and off throughout our conversations. The sky was gray and the blue track was covered in puddles. Despite sitting underneath an umbrella, I was all wet. I left my spike bag out in the rain, so my socks and spikes were soaked. My wet clothing made me shiver but I didn't want to put different clothes on, because I knew they would just get wet. JS and I had to run the 1500m though, so we couldn't dwell on it for long.

It rained as JS and I warmed up, running three laps. My pants, socks, and shoes were soaked. It didn't seem to matter because I knew that unless I somehow dropped 10 seconds off my PR, this would be my last 1500m of the season. It knew it could also be my last race of the track season. So I ignored the cold weather and the 4x800 problems, I was going to go out there and run my best. I would do what I could because I had already gave most of my energy to the 4x800, I decided while stretching on the wet sidewalk.

I stood next to JS at the starting line, the sky gray but no longer raining. The race began a little faster than I would've liked, but I wasn't really running for a time, I didn't even think about my PR. I wanted to compete in my race, and that is what I did. There was a puddle I splashed through with 2.5 laps to go and I could see JS was running well. Whenever she made a move, I followed her but I stayed on the inside. My coach just encouraged us, and AK cheered us on.

With 100m left, JS was right beside me. I tried to follow her sprint but she had more than me. She did lose out to another girl that were caught but beat me in 5:21 while I took 5:22. The fact that she beat me didn't even bother me that much. My mom told me before to run for myself, not my teammates or my coaches. I ran for myself in that race and did all I could. I raced and that's what matters.

1500
JS- 5:21
Me- 5:22

The PR is as elusive as ever. I competed more than anything though.

No comments: