Monday, March 23, 2009

RACE REPORT: THE DOME

So I didn't exactly write a race report for last Monday's track meet. I kept putting it off and now it doesn't make sense to write a full length post analyzing my results. I do however, wish to explain a little about it and why the meet was a mess.

It was 70 degrees outside so of course this would be an indoor meet. It was at the the dome which looks cool to run in but really isn't because the air is very dry.


I was supposed to run the 4x800 and the 1500. Two of my three teammates that were supposed to run in my relay, were sick and didn't come to the meet. This included JS who was also supposed to be in my 1500. Unless they took someone out of another 4x800 I would not get to run the relay. I decided to just run the 1500 because I was worried about how the dry air would affect my running. I was also worried about my 1500 because JS usually paces us. She somehow runs exact or negative splits and I've grown used to her always being there. Running with a teammate is always easier because they motivate you to run harder than you normally would.
I ran my race at around 7:35, more than 4 hours after we had arrived. The wait was terrible and I had lost some of my adrenaline. That, combined with everything else, made it worse. During the race, many of the coaches stood at the same spot so I couldn't hear my coach yelling my splits. All I could hear was people trying to yell over each other which didn't work at all. I didn't know how fast I was going and just adjusted my pace by how I felt. My rhythm just wasn't there either. I was passed right at the line by a girl I had passed a little before in the race. I could feel her coming up behind me but I just couldn't get the energy I needed. I know the strength was there but I just couldn't pick up the pace.
My coach predicted I would run 5:36. When he added up my splits after the race, he found that I had run 5:36. He was pretty proud of himself that he had guessed correctly but he also said that I was going in the right direction. This was a PR by 6 seconds but I think I can do even better, especially once I can get my rhythm going in a race.

No comments: