Tuesday, May 25, 2010

THE EVE OF GOODBYES

"I’ve got my memories
Always inside of me
But I can’t go back
Back to how it was

I believe now
I’ve come too far
No I can’t go back
Back to how it was

Created for a place
I’ve never known

This is home
Now I’m finally
Where I belong
Where I belong
Yeah, this is home
I’ve been searching
For a place of my own
Now I’ve found it
Maybe this is home
Yeah, this is home

Belief over misery
I’ve seen the enemy
And I won’t go back
Back to how it was

And I got my heart
Set on
What happens next
I got my eyes wide
It’s not over yet
We are miracles
And we’re not alone
Yeah

This is home
Now I’m finally
Where I belong
Where I belong
Yeah, this is home
I’ve been searching
For a place of my own
Now I’ve found it
Maybe this is home
Yeah, this is home

And now after all
My searching
After all my questions
I’m gonna call it home
I got a brand new mindset
I can finally see
The sunset
I’m gonna call it home
Home

This is home
Now I’m finally
Where I belong
Where I belong
Yeah, this is home
I’ve been searching
For a place of my own
Now I’ve found it
Maybe this is home
Yeah, this is home

Now I know
Yeah, this is home

I’ve come too far
And I won’t go back
Yeah, this is home"


~"This is Home" by Switchfoot




My last day of high school is tomorrow. My last day of walking down the hallways at my school, hearing JS yell out "k-funk" and eating lunch on the stairs in the foyer. My last day of sitting in my coach's class, laughing at him because I know more to the story than everyone else. My last day of going to hang out in his room 6th hour with JS and having fun. My last day of walking through the school, past the green lockers and my favorite teachers and my friends, knowing that this hallway belongs to me. That this is my school.

That will be my last day of seeing all those familiar faces, going past the dirty corner, hearing my teammate yell out hello, having people crowd my locker. My last day of my math class trying to get our teacher to get us to leave lunch early. My last day of my friend waiting for me so we can walk into class together. My last day with my fellow classmates. I may not be friends with all of these people, but they are familiar to me; I know their names, faces, personalities. I'm going to miss these people, even the ones that I don't like. They are part of me, part of my school, part of my graduating class.

What I might miss most about high school though, is having a place to belong. I love being able to go to school knowing that there is a group of people who care about the same things I do, who accept me for who I am. My running buddies are the best friends one could have. They've seen me at my best and worst, and they are still my favorite. I have my other school friends, and they are awesome, but they really don't understand my running. They wouldn't understand that I love just talking with my teammates after practice at the bench where all the distance runners seem to be. My fellow squirrels are what I will miss the most. They will be there, and I can talk to them, and run with them, but it won't be the same. I love being part of that team, I love being a scampering squirrel, and I'm going to miss this so much.

At the beginning of the school year, I realized how much I didn't want to leave high school, how much it meant to me. But as it became closer to graduation, the coolness of being a senior sets in and you forget what it really means. That you have to leave the place that has been your home for the past four years and your friends. But it still doesn't seem like I could really have my last day of high school tomorrow. Maybe this is because that I don't want to leave it. But I have to. I will have to walk down those hallways and say goodbye to what has been my home. I'm really going to miss my high school.

3 comments:

TriEric said...

Congratulations on your graduation from high school. It must have been a busy year since you didn't post much about it.

Despite what you are leaving behind you will find many of those same things where ever you go. Hopefully you will continue running and find those new friends that share the same passion. Sitting around post run talking about upcoming races and accomplishments and goals. Frustrations, injuries, fast times and slow times

You are describing things that are still a part of my life 25 years post high school. As much as things change...somehow they remain the same. The faces and places are what change.

Once again congratulations and good luck in the future.

the scampering squirrel said...

K-Funkkkkkkkkkk! I miss yelling that at you in the Hall, it was like one of the highlights of my days. I miss sixth hour too. I've been just going home or working on my chem lab....it's weird. By the way I finished the cation part of the lab today!!! I just have to do the anion part now then goodbye AP CHEM!!!

Back to your post. I know that you are going to miss these things, but the point is to move on, but don't forget. Funk you're going to college and it's going to be on hell of a time. You will never forget the memories you made in high school and as the always say all good things must end. But new good things begin where the old ones ended.

I'm going to miss you, but you will find a new place that you can call home. You will find new people that will understand you.

Good luck in college, and you better come back and visit.
~Jennaroni

NBA Verticals said...

Switchfoot is one of my all time favorite bands. They have such meaning and depth in the lyrics of all their songs which is hard to find these days.