Thursday, April 23, 2009

RACE REPORT: RUNNING IN THE SUN

On Friday, I had my third track meet in seven days and fourth in two weeks. Needless to say, I was a little tired. I had taken Wednesday off and didn't run much on Thursday, but running hard all the time is not a good recovery. It was a nice 70 degrees for our track meet but a little warm, considering it was 20 degrees warmer than the previous week. There was only five teams but it was coed and both jv and varsity.

I ran the 3000, the first race, in which we only had to stand on the line for more than five minutes. When we were lined up, our lanes were decided by time. I was third from the left, meaning only two girls (two of the big four) had faster times. This was pretty cool because that meant I had beat the more than ten girls to my right. It also meant I had a chance to do well in this race.

It wasn't a very exciting race because the gaps were very large. I ran by myself in third place for practically the whole race, and second and fourth place were so far that there wasn't really anybody to race. That doesn't mean I didn't try my hardest, it just means that I had no one to push me extra hard.

The rest of the meet was spent playing on the playground with my teammates and sitting on the bleachers watching my friends run. I stayed until the end of the meet at 10:30 (it started at 5:00). There was some inspirational moments from some of my teammates but my legs were just so tired that the meet wasn't that exciting.

3000
1st- 10:31
2nd- 11:29
Me (3rd)- 11:50
JS- 12:02

This is the first race of the year that I haven't PRed in (not counting the 800's) which is kind of disappointing but it's not like I thought that I could continue that. I beat JS by a lot which is kind of nice but there was a big gap between the first four places. I was able to work on pacing myself and my coach liked the race so overall, I'm okay with it.

1 comment:

Vincent said...

I wouldn't worry about the lack of PR. especially with 4 races in 2 weeks. Give yourself some rest and you'll see your time will just jump down.

Good job!

And second although 20 seconds wasn't all that far ahead. I think you could close in on that with time.