Tuesday, October 20, 2009

WHY I LOVE CROSS COUNTRY

I might only have one cross country practice left. I might also have more than a week of practice left. Either way, I don't have that many practices left. But this has only intensified my feelings for the sport. It has made me love it even more.

I complain a lot about cross country. I complain about how no one else in our school cares, how no one comes to our meets to support us, how almost no one knows our school has a cross country team, or even knows what cross country is. I complain about how we have one of the smallest sports teams in the school and how no one pays attention to us. But really, I don't think I'd want it any other way. I love how cross country is its only little sport. I love how hardly anyone goes out for cross country, because it means that the majority of the people of the team really care about the sport. I wouldn't even want a large team because I love how it's just us. I love how the rest of the school thinks we are amazing superhumans because they don't really know anything about cross country. I love how other sports teams both look down and look up to us. I even love when people ask me why I participate in the sport, although it kind of bothers me. It's like they are both confused and impressed with us.

I love being able to do one of the things I love best with people who are some of my best friends. I love how I know all these personal things about my teammates but I barely talk to them in school. Before and after a race, people share all kinds of things they'd tell no one else, even though its their true selves. I love the races, seeing the colorful, long lines of people stretched out across the fields. I love cheering my teammates on, and cheering other people on, just because they run cross country. I love riding the bus after meets and laughing with my teammates. I love hearing people cheer for me. I love how we congratulate each other after the race and how you don't have to win to do your best. I love how we run in all kinds of weather and just deal with it. I love how it is just one race but also many races. I love how it is an individual yet team sport. How everyone counts on you but you count on everyone.

I love practices. I even look forward to most of them. I love the track workouts, the long runs, the tempo runs, and everything else. I love running around the lake, knowing that I can do anything because I am a cross country runner. I love seeing the creepers on the trail and speeding up as you pass them. I love getting out of the way of bikes and dogs. I love looking down the trail at the yellow dashed lines painted on the asphalt as the sun shines above. I love running with the leaves crunching under my feet. I love losing what feels like gallons of sweat while knowing the person next to you might be sweating even more. I love running in the rain, looking at each other knowing that both of you are going to jump into the puddles to splash each other. I love how you can act like a 5 year old on rainy runs. I love knowing you are almost done with your run but I also love when you know that you are just beginning.

I love knowing that I'm not the only one who has a whole wardrobe of running shirts. I love that I can easily convert miles to kilometers or meters and calculate any kind of split. I love knowing that my teammates will be there for me no matter what. I love knowing that my running shoes and socks might smell but I'm not the only one. I love being able to wring the water and sweat out of my clothes after practice. I love how this sports gives back even more than the great amount you put into it. I love how it changes you and makes you into yourself.

I love looking off into the distance, hearing the steady beat of my feet hitting the ground, knowing that I am a cross country runner. I love having this place to belong. I love cross country. Even more than I thought I could.

11 comments:

the scampering squirrel said...

K-funk!
Your post makes me sad because it makes me realize that we have a limited amount of times left to run together.I will never run cross country with you again and thats sad to think about. Honestly these last two years have been the time of my life. I had to laugh when I read that part about puddle jumping, I am going to miss that. Looking at each other knowing that the other one is going to jump in the puddle is classic, no words have to be spoken, we just know. I promise next year that when it rains I will jump in them by myself for you. I don't know what I will do next year, my partner in crime is going to be gone. No one can replace you.

When you run today, run with your heart and give it all you got...even though I know you will. K-funk this isn't your last race, your last race isn't until next saturday. You are amazing and I know you will do well, after all these are our conditions. Run with your heart and run for the person that looks back at you in the mirror and leave it all out there. Also, don't forget to have fun.

The deal still stands: Qualify for state and I'll slide through the mud. I will too, because I will pretty much do anything, especially if I promised it. Oh and I might just start singing shoop too.

K-funk good luck! I will be on the sideline screaming my lungs out for you. You will qualify for state along with the rest of the team simply because you are amazing. Like in track, when you are tired during the race just say to yourself "State, State, State."

I am done with my motivational speech! Go kick some Wash and Linn Mar butt!

-Jennaroni

the scampering squirrel said...

So you haven't posted your next blog post yet, but I have something to say, so I will post another comment on this one. Pretty much you better not die of tuberculosis because our time remaining is limited and I don't want to lose you faster than what I have to!
Get better soon, so we can almost get kicked out of the IMC everyday or have recess at Pierce!
-Jennaroni

Eric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric said...

I just caught up on your posts and have to ask one question......how old are you? Rhetorical question. Your comments and posts are always wonderful to read. I'm excited for you. You realize that CC has come to an end. Then track will end. Then high school will end.

But don't forget about what you are starting. The running doesn't have to end. running through mud, over logs, in the rain, under the sun.

There can be many more miles of fun, adventure and friends.

And there will always be people who will think you are amazing for what you do. I know I am one of them.

Anonymous said...

Your story reminds me SO much of myself. I feel like I can relate to everything you said. CC is such an amazing sport. You sumed it up so well. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RUN RUN RUN

Anonymous said...

I love this post so much, and I can definitely relate to it. It's funny because whenever I meet someone new and if they happen to run cross country, I feel like we have an instant connection of some sort. Like you said, I love the unity a cross country team has. A lot of people at my school call it a cult (as a joke haha) because we're all so close to each other. But the truth is, cross country is so accepting of new people and everyone likes you if you have the same passion for running as everyone else. Thank you so much for your post! It's great :)

Anonymous said...

I love cross country! I joined at my school this year, and i went from a couch potato to a runner and part of a team. One of my best friends is from the team and she is the best running buddy ever. You have listed all the reasons I love cross country. It feels so great to know a stranger shares the love of this sport. (Don't mean to be a creep though. lol) Congratulations! and Stat in touch with your friends! Go on runs on your own! Enjoy yourself, and know what whatever happens, you are strong because you are a runner.

Unknown said...

I'm a high school runner who lost the spark I once had. My Freshman and sophomore year I was on varsity and loved running, the people I met the challenge it gave my mind and body.. What was not to love ? But as junior year came around and XC started I got sick and injured resulting in me losing my fitness, as well as my varsity spot . This was a hard thing to accept. Realizing I wasn't improving drained me mentally and physically. Feeling like I let my mom and biggest supporter down is the worst feeling. I felt like no one believed in me including myself, so I just gave up. I'm now on winter break and supposed to be training for track season, but I can't get myself to run. I don't know why I'm writing this but Ive been searching for help on how to run again and enjoy it.
I know it takes a while to get back into shape and I'm already very behind in training, but I need to get that drive I once had back. I need any advice you have that can help please .

Anonymous said...

I agree with this blog so much; cross country is my life and I'm a high school 9th grader (freshman) who's been running in general since 3rd grade! I've been running cross country since my school says you're allowed to; the right age to start (middle school, 7th grade, I know some schools have a sixth grade team, but we don't)! And advice for Reily McLachlan...I would say that you should start out slow. Go on a half-mile run one day, then a mile, then so on...If this helps, let me know by commenting on this blog. If it doesn't, I've got more advice, so also let me know. :)

Brooke W said...

Great stuff Jennaroni, cross country is life I enjoyed reading this and the comments. Here's some motivation for you guys Cross Country Slogans thanks for the great read!

Brooke said...

This is a great story, thank you for sharing. I like how honest and real you were about how you hated but also loved the sport and the follow reasons. Thank you for that. If it's okay with you, I found some good cross country quotes and phrases with you being a runner, i know you'd enjoy. I'll leave them here for you: Cross Country Slogans